Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Thoughts: President Uchtdorf - Grateful in Any Circumstance

President Uchtdorf
Grateful in Any Circumstance
General Conference – April 2014
Click Here for entire talk


One of the reasons I like this talk is because it helps me put my trials into an eternal perspecitive.  It is a good reminder for me that life can be hard, life is really hard right now, but I still have so much to be grateful for.  

“Sooner or later, I believe that all of us experience times when the very fabric of our world tears at the seams, leaving us feeling alone, frustrated, and adrift. It can happen to anyone. No one is immune. Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious. We can be grateful!”

Without going into many details, the last few years have been very hard.  The last several months have been even harder.  Mental illness has creeped into my life and taken on a role that I was not prepared for.  A work injury that has left me with permanent restrictions.  With no end of suffering in sight as of right now and still so many details of this trial left to play out, I have found myself really questioning why this has to happen to me…to my family.  I have spent many hours in prayer over the last few months.  More than any other time in my life and yet I still feel as though I’m going to crumble under the weight of this trial.  

I realize that many of the details of this trial are out of my control – which is even suckier.  I can’t force healing, I can’t predict what healing will look like, I can’t control not being able to go back to work and I certainly can’t create an outcome without pain in the process…..I can control my attitude. I can do all that I am asked. Even when it sucks.  

“It is easy to be grateful for things when life seems to be going our way. But what then of those times when what we wish for seems to be far out of reach?

Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be.”

By cultivating an attitude of gratitude and having faith in His plan and in His timing, I can get through this awful trial and come out stronger and even happier than ever before!

I just hope things “fall into place” sooner rather than later.

…. Is that too much to ask? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment